Just the other day I was puttering around my house, making it pretty, finding homes for things, delighting in my home. My new husband and I moved to this house about 5 months ago and I’m still making friends with it, seeing how it feels as our home. As I was clearing surfaces and arranging some favorite items I realized that I was creating sacred space. I have a practice I do a lot to help me clarify, focus on, and activate the dreams and goals I want to make happen. That practice danced right into my interior designing – I made an altar without even thinking about it! That’s it in the picture above.
Usually when I do this I start at the “beginning” with a purpose for the altar – a desire to fulfill, or a life enhancement I want to encourage. I recently wrote a free mini-course on the subject (you can find out more about that here), so of course the process was top of mind. But this was going at it backwards! So, I wanted to figure out what this altar that made itself was actually for. It came to me pretty quickly – I was looking for help in establishing systems and order in my new home, and in my new life here. I love how my subconscious works – if I wasn’t going to make an altar for this, it would!
The usual steps would include selecting items for the altar based on what I wanted to do or learn, and what was meaningful to me in that context. But this reversal required me to look at what I’d chosen and see how these choices could inform me about this new Altar for Creating Order. Here’s what I discovered:
- Looking intuitively at the altar I first noticed the bird. I almost always have a bird on my altars, they relate to the wind element, mental energy, and I also see them as messengers. This one is sparkly and I feel it’s telling me to lighten up the way I think about systems – to keep it easy and light.
- The angel reminds me I’m not alone in this – I have helpers of all kinds available, and it reminds me to connect to God also..
- I love that little picture of the house, it’s very evocative of home for me. I think it’s message is to do what I love and enjoy, and to consider how I really want to live here, and what brings joy to my home.
- The books are about support – what systems can I use to best support myself and my family? Where can I find support? Who can I support?
- In a green, clay vase is a white rose – a bit of earth, and water, and beauty all together. All important elements of a healthy home!
- The flower shaped dish has 3 crystals that stand for love, compassion, dispelling negativity, hope, willpower and integrity – to help me in my quest.
- I always have candles on my altars! They bring warmth, and especially ignition, to the dreams each altar promotes. It relates to fire which can both enhance and destroy. Destruction of old patterns makes room for new ones. That;s help I can use!
- The artwork above the altar is one way to see paradise. I think it’s telling me to find paradise where I am right now.
I’m still pretty amazed that this altar just happened. But I’m going to care for it, and listen to what it has to tell me. I want to know how it can help me. The next step will be to journal about these insights and see how I can use that to take steps to make life in my new home easier and more delightful!
Do you make altars? How do you use them? I’d love to hear about your altar practices. Comment, or you can contact me at email@example.com. If you want to learn more about altars and how I use them to activate my dreams check out my free mini course.
Love and Light!