This is a little tool that’s very flexible. It’s a fun, easy way of gathering goodness!! I call it “The Jar” (I know, fancy!). The one I’m using now is a Pleasure Jar because I’m recording and thinking about pleasure in my life (for my Word of the Year – more about that here). It is super simple and quick, and you may have even done this before for a gratitude practice. Here’s how I like to do it:
- Choose a jar you like (or a box works too) and find a good place to set it where you’ll see it. In the past I’ve put mine on the kitchen counter, on an altar, on my bedside table, and on my desk.
- Cut up some little pieces of paper to write on and clip them together. Set them and a pen by the jar.
- Choose a name for your jar. This “name” is the thing you want to gather more of – it could be pleasure, or gratitude, or your Word of the Year (like mentioned before); or it could be love, dreams, humor, lightness, beauty, intuition, support – it can be anything really. The question is what do you want to notice more of in your life? What do you want to encourage? Then name your jar, you can even put the name on your jar if you want.
- Next you decide what you want to record – I like a bit of a formula, but you can do this however you like. My paper slips say: Today I appreciate __________, it gives me pleasure by__________. I like to begin with appreciation and then see how that offers me pleasure (or whatever I’m gathering). On the back I note the date & then slip it into the jar. Today I wrote: Today I appreciate my Instagram friends, they light up my life in so many ways and that gives me pleasure.
- Now, consider when and how you’ll record what you’re gathering. I like to write on a slip of paper everyday and put it in the jar. Then at the end of a week I take all of the slips out and look them over. The longer you do this the more you have to look at! I usually do this for at least a month. My Pleasure Jar will be collecting goodness until the end of the year.
- Finally, think about what you want to do with the slips of goodness you’re collecting. You may just want to look at and enjoy them each week. They’re reminders that life IS good and that things are well. That is a lovely awareness practice all on it’s own. But you can do more! I’ve created small books from them (A Collection of Pleasures). I have used them in my collage art. I’ve pulled one a day as a reminder, or like an oracle card message. This time around I’m reading them each Friday and then posting my pleasures of the week to Instagram.
I love this little practice! It’s a great way to become more aware of the beauty life offers you right now. The more you look for the things you want in life, the more you find you have them now. What a lot of satisfaction this brings! And it’s a powerful place to work from to create MORE of what you desire in your delicious life.
You can sign up here to receive my posts via email (I send a letter out with links and more about every two weeks). I’d love to hear from you!! On that same page you can contact me, or schedule a free coaching session.