Here are 25 ways to enjoy the season and make the most of it while it’s still here!
- Take a road trip – what have you been wanting to see? Go see it! Or just take a drive on a beautiful country road – no hurry, no worries.
- Treat yourself to a big, beautiful, fragrant flower bouquet from a local farmer.
- Pick flowers from your garden to display in your home or at your desk.
- Go hiking in the forest or by a lake, enjoy the fresh air and being in nature.
- Take a leisurely walk in your neighborhood or a favorite part of town. Stroll. Loiter.
- Discover a new coffee shop and linger.
- Try a new ice-cream flavor, compare ice cream shops and choose a favorite, or learn to make ice cream at home.
- Visit a farmers market, buy fresh local produce and amazing art, talk to the vendors about their products/passion.
- Relax on the porch: snooze, read, sip iced tea, write, chat with a friend, enjoy the world of your yard/neighborhood…or do nothing at all.
- Watch the sun set.
- Watch fireflies light up the night.
- Play badminton or croquet, start a basketball game, play kick the can. (Does anyone remember how to play kick the can? Here’s a link with the “rules” and other fun games too.)
- Go swimming at a local beach or pool.
- Look up bike trails and take a ride in a new-to-you area of your town or county.
- Dine alfresco (on your porch – put up string lights, set up a speaker, use candles & flowers to decorate the table – or go to a local restaurant with a great outdoor patio, ahhh, romance!).
- Take a photography walk and snap some pictures to recall summertime all year round.
- Look at the stars, learn the constellations if you don’t know them; if you, do teach someone else.
- Look for fun local events you want to attend (baseball game, outdoor concert, nature walk, lecture on the stars, etc.) – schedule at least one per month and enjoy!
- Visit a public garden or butterfly habitat.
- Dance in the moonlight.
- Tie dye shirts in bright colors with the kids (outside is a great place to do this!) and wear them when you visit the zoo or the amusement park – the better to find each other.
- Paint outside: or color, draw, play with clay – make a mess!
- Drive with the windows open, belting out songs from your past (or that “classic rock” station you love). Add friends and this is like being 16 again.
- Act like you’re on vacation. Or take a vacation at home, whether it’s a weekend or a full week: shift your schedule like you would for a vacation (sleep in, stay up later), pursue vacation type activities (like reading in a deck chair, doing a jigsaw puzzle, taking naps, checking out the local sites, golfing, etc.) eat vacation type foods, relax, hire someone to come clean the house (before and after your home vacation, or in the middle), unplug, let yourself be out of your regular routine and regular activities, don’t do house projects now (you can always plan another long weekend or week to do that) – it’s time to relax and enjoy the season!
- Make a list of what you love about summer and then be sure to take time to enjoy those things, those feelings, while the glorious summertime is here!
Go forth and love the season you’re in! I hope it’s beautiful. I’d love to hear about your favorite summertime pursuits. Write a comment or drop me a line.